She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Me Design Your House?

Wanna guess what amazing feats and masterful skills I performed at my internship today?

Anyone? Anyone?

Well, let me tell ya.
I utilized my amazing design capabilities while vacuuming the lighting center. But did I stop there? Oh no. I vacuumed every stinkin' area rug on the showroom floor.

"Impossible!", you say.

Let's face it, I'm a skilled woman.
And then, oh then, do you know what I did.

I SWEPT.

The entire store.
The last dustpan-ful included my arms. 

So yah.
Notice how I spelt 'yah'. Not to be confused with 'yea' (also commonly spelt 'yay').

This discrepancy is highly irritating to me. I find people, far too often, replace 'yea' for 'yah'.

For instance:
Do I want to learn more about interiors at my internship? 'Yah.'
Do I like decorating the show floor? 'Yah.'
Should you learn the difference between these words? 'Yah.'

Just imagine if I had responded 'yea' to all of these questions. I would have sounded like a completely insane person who is way too excitable. (Do you ever stop saying 'yea'? "YEA!")

The point is: I am an amazing intern, gosh darn it! And I want to do some DESIGNING!

I can do it! I can. I completed this project last semester in my 'Design in the Home' course and received entirely positive feedback about my interior choices.


First, I designed my floor plan layout and completed a rough sketch. Next, I decided on a warm color scheme with amber, bronze, goldenrod, etc. Then I found materials that would fit the desired 'feel' of my rooms and finalized the floor plan rendering.


I decided on a deep chocolate brown wood for the cabinets with almost no visible grain. This would be contrasted by a highly reflective copper counter top and tile mosaic back splash.


The entire apartment would have cork (no, really) cork flooring with various chocolate speckled area rugs for comfort in the bedroom, etc. It's different, I know, but I love how unique it is. Not just the same ole', same ole'.


My instructor insisted that these choices lean towards a '50s retro theme. I, however, beg to differ. The cork might lean towards that, but in MY design, is a whole lot more stylish. The picture I included shows what I mean. The fabrics are satin-y, the surfaces glow and the lighting is romantical. Posh, eh?


For textiles, I chose a woven fabric with stylized circles and a warm brown leather. Paint swatches included a soft yellow and a slightly darker variation for contrast.
 Notice how the tile pulls out the chocolate brown from the cupboards, the copper from the counter tops and introduces a sheek granite grey.

So, whaddya say?
Don't you think Osmond Designs should hire me on full-time?
Me too.

But... it may not happen in the near future.
After all, I am one-heck-of-a vacuum slave.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...