She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

'Bear'ly Survived.

Everyday I pass a certain postcard mangetted to my fridge. The husband purchased it on the honeymoon so that we could always keep it as a memory.


Problem is, I've been trying to repress said memory for over a month now.

My first day back at work, and I'm talking to the cashier downstairs. She wants to know all about my trip so I tell her about our adventures in Jackson Hole, through Yellowstone and over a mountain pass of death in Montana.

"I can't remember what it's called, but you supposedly climb almost a mile in elevation in the shortest stretch of road in the US." I recounted, "And then you almost die."

"Are you talking about Beartooth Pass?.." the parts manager chimed in from across the counter, "My motorcycle group took it last year. Such a beautiful drive, isn't it."

In retrospect, it probably was breathtaking.
Only problem is, I was too busy trying not to toss my cookies to even notice.

All I know is that one minute I was napping peacefully in the front seat and the next, I'm awoken suddenly with a feeling of eminent danger in the pit of my stomach. Or maybe that was motion sickness, I can never be sure.

But let's just say that as soon as I turned the A/C on high and started slowly sipping cool water, the husband knew that was code for 'slow down and look worried'.

And he had right to worry, come to find out, because according to Wikipedia, "The Beartooth Highway is the section of U.S. Highway 212 between Red Lodge, Montana and Cooke City, Montana. It traces a series of steep zigzags and switchbacks, along the Montana-Wyoming border to the 10,947 ft. high Beartooth Pass. The approximate elevation rise is from 5,200 ft. to 8,000 ft. in 12 mi in the most daring landscapes."

The way I see it, going on scenic drives up windy mountain roads is like hiking. You're too busy trying not to get sick from the switchbacks or focusing on not tripping over the big rocks that your ability to actually enjoy nature is completely ruined.

Sure, when you get to the peak and rest for a bit, you're able to look around and notice the beauty of the earth. But is it really worth it if you're battling nausea and muscle spasms the entire time?..

Even the husband was light headed by the time we plateaued at the summit.
And what was supposedly supposed to be a 3-hour drive quickly turned in to almost six. ('Someone' neglected to research our route thoroughly enough to realize that an extra two-hours worth of drive time was suggested.)

And though we did finish the day on a good note, going to a rodeo and getting ice-cream with his missionary brother and his companion, it didn't stop us from taking a round-about way back the next day.

Because breathtaking views or no, we both agreed that we'd rather not take 'the most beautiful drive in America' again.

4 comments:

Elder Nay said...

Hey, don't be a hater! Beartooth pass is awesome!

Corinner-Elly said...

I'll agree that pictures of it are awesome... ;)

Kelsey said...

Ok, I only just found your blog and I LOVE IT! I had to comment on this post because I drive Beartooth Pass every year! Alan's family has a cabin in Cooke City that we go to every summer. And I agree, it's not the most pleasant drive . . . but it's not the worst either. I'm totally adding you to my blog list :)

Corinner-Elly said...

Well I'm glad you like it. :)

(My blog, not Beartooth Pass. lol)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...