She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Breaking Point at Breaking Dawn

I had an awesome weekend. It was full of sisters and sleepovers and silliness. And also alliteration, apparently.
 
'Da twinneh' and Gem slept over on Friday night. The husband was gone pheasant hunting, so we had the apartment all to ourselves. Which meant there was no need to hold back.
 
It's at times like these that our true colors really shine. Should you have the privilege of witnessing how we act when in only each other's company.
 
And somehow, I always end up at the brunt end of every joke. Like when we were all spooning on my bed, and I suggested that we reenact a particular scene from the movie Corinna, Corinna (skip to 8:50), and then they mock me relentlessly for how I roll over. Regardless of how much more efficient or practical it is.
 
I mean who likes having their pajamas all twisted up and strangling them in the middle of the night?? That's right. No one.
 
This sisterly reunion was all in anticipation of the new Twilight movie release. My oldest sister and her oldest daughter met up with us at my apartment the next afternoon to watch the first half of Breaking Dawn, then we had some dinner at Zupas before hitting up part II at the mall.
 
Just for the record, I don't consider myself a raving Twilight fan. True, I enjoyed the books and true, I've seen all of the movies. But that doesn't mean I stand behind the horribleness of films 1 & 2. The third was only marginally better, and I only started truly enjoying them on these last two.
 
That being said (and in an attempt to refrain from leaking any spoilers), there was a certain point during the climax where I seriously contemplated going home, burning the novels and never speaking of them again. It seemed as though the director had changed the storyline in such a way as to completely ruin the saga. The entire theater was in a state of shock, including 'da twinneh' who sat with her hands covering the horrified expression on her face.
 
I was beyond infuriated. I loved how Stephenie Meyer had finished the story. She hadn't felt the need to kill off any main characters, the conflict was resolved and it had a happy ending. Something you rarely find in literature.
 
But that was far from the direction the film was taking. Fortunately, we all breathed a sigh of relief when the twist was revealed, and the world was right again. The theater literally buzzed for the next two minutes as all of the women expressed their excited relief.
 
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that everything turned out alright. Sorry if that ruins the surprise for you, but I personally would rather have known from the get-go that it would all be okay. Would have saved me a lot of anxiety and loathing later on.
 
And of course, the 'Twi-hards' all clapped enthusiastically during the credits.
 

Which always makes me roll my eyes. I classify it right up there with cliche Relief Society pity chuckles and when people require you to prove you're not a robot when leaving a comment on their blog.

I hate to break it to you bloggers, but that deters me from saying anything 9 out of 10 times. If you're really so worried about someone posting inappropriate content, moderate your comments before they're visible.

But considering that the majority of you who still utilize this ridiculous feature have fewer than five followers, myself included, I think you're safe.

And so that is what I have to say on those subjects.
See it, stop it and remove it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...