She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Can't Believe His Eyes

There's a mechanic at my dealership who is in a class above the rest.
I don't say this in reference to his ability to fix cars, heavens knows I know nothing about that. I mean simply that his work ethic is top-notch and his people skills are quality.

Often times, he is the only one busy in the shop. He never stops moving.
There was a power outage some months back and he refused to take a break even then, finding ways to keep working even in the dark.

And the guy must be in his late fifties, early sixties. You don't have to see his pure white hair to know that he's no spring chicken.

Yet he goes about his business pleasantly and quietly.
Always on top of his tasks, sometimes literally when perched atop his station's desk while taking a quick lunch break.

So when someone began up the stairs to my little office a few days ago, I was relieved to see it was him.

After asking my office manager a few questions, he smiled politely at me then went on his merry way.

Trouble was, that quick smile had caught me off guard.
Something was... different about him.

"Was there something wrong with his eyes today?", I mentioned.

"His real eye?", she responded?

"Real.. eye?..." I was confused.

"You know he has a glass eye, right?", she responded, with a look that seriously doubted my sincerity.

*mouth agape*

 I wanted to reply with an "Are you SH**ING ME!??" but an "Are you serious!?" had to suffice.

Sure enough, I had been working, oftentimes within close proximity with said technician for six months now and had yet to notice that one of his eyes is entirely made of glass.


Call me Captain Oblivious, but that's the honest truth.

I can't decide whether I'm horribly unobservant or just don't look people in the eyes, er..., eye. But either way, my blatant disregard of very obvious and strange phenomenon astounds me.

What's next?
A prosthetic arm in the body shop? The cashier wears a wig? Our used car salesman has no eyebrows?...

Mark my words, if I find out the owner has a peg leg, I'm going to dig a hole and die.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...