She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Fortune Favors the Brave.

I think, perhaps, I should have been born in China.
You probably wouldn't have placed me there having brown hair, blue eyes, being 5'9" and all.

But the food, oh the food.
I would have been born there for the food. 

Lately I've been craving Chinese food like a hormone filled pregnant woman.
Panda Express, Rice Garden in Smith's, Little Tokyo, @12, China Wok and if you're really loaded, P.F. Chang's. So many tasty possibilities.

Granted, these are all Americanized versions of the real thing, but the flavor palate remains. I think my love for soy, garlic and ginger is only rivaled by my love for basil, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.

I'm telling you, everything tastes better when it comes from a wok. Pretty sure I could live on a steady diet of tempura chicken and rice noodles. And cream cheese wontons are heaven in a little fried wrapper.

There's such a variety of choices. Egg drop soup, honey walnut shrimp, potstickers, a plethora of vegetables, orange chicken, spring rolls, egg rolls and so many, many sauces. And don't even get me started about chicken-on-a-stick. I think I've already expounded on my affinity for all things skewered.

And those Chinese, man. They're tricky.

What other ethnicity leaves your fortune inside a cookie? I knew the moment that Gem read "Thinking is highly encouraged." after one night's feasting that they were truly magical.


Personally, I'm waiting for one that says "That wasn't chicken." or "Help! I'm trapped in the fortune cookie factory!" But it hasn't happened yet.

But I may be neglecting the most important feature of the Chinese food experience. Namely, the buffet. They've pretty much perfected the concept, I'd say.

I can't count the number of times I've vowed to never again return to a Chinese buffet the night after gorging and yet I always do. I think they must put a narcotic in the rice. One that forces you to sleep it off and then come back and tempt the intestinal gods again.

All I'm saying is that sometimes the things you love most give you the most trouble. Don't read into that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...