She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Funny Business

Sometimes I don't understand people and their sayings.
For instance, my mom is addicted to using the phrase: "She/he's so funny."

You might be thinking, "What's wrong with that?... People are funny?"

The thing is, when she says this, the person is usually not being funny.
Most often, far from it.

In fact, they are usually being downright irritating.

I most vividly remember her using the statement when my grandma was alive and living with us at the house. She'd make ridiculous requests for her crackers to be meticulously placed in two neat piles of five and demand that her water cup be first completely filled with ice and then water or else snottily reject it.

To any normal person, this would be extremely annoying. Not 'funny'.
But of course, as I fumed over her demanding nature and ridiculous requests, my mom would simply laugh and say, "Oh, she's so funny!"

Puzzling, no?

On a side note, I don't think being old gives you the right to be a crank. It might make you feel better when you're trying to justify acting witchy, but it really doesn't fly. No offense Gran.


Also, why do people say 'no offense' when they intend to offend someone?
Why put on a happy face when you really don't mean it?

Personally, I'm all for expressing how you really feel. I mean, courtesy is always the best policy, but so is honesty. Don't pretend you like someone to their face and then talk about them behind their back every chance you get.

And especially don't post blog posts or Facebook status updates, that you know good and well they'll be able to read, subtly documenting your distaste for them.

If you don't like them, how about just removing them as a friend? Eh?
Then you can post all of the nasty statuses you want.

Of course I don't say this from experience...
What makes you think that?

*nervous laugh*

Maybe that's why my mom is so determined to insist that bad behavior equates to a warm-and-fuzzy feelings of endearment. Maybe it's easier to tell yourself that people are sweet and innocent as opposed to malicious and hurtful to keep from exploding inside.

But then again, if you don't have the angelic disposition of my mother, saying "SHE'S SO FUNNY" repeatedly, while angrily glaring and clenching your fists might not be quite as effective.

Looks like I'll have to stick to my normal methods of coping.
Namely, long blog rants and bubble wrap.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...