She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Caught Napping.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I'm doing with my life. Especially with my degree. Up until this point, I've known exactly what I should be doing and when I should be doing it.

I went to grade school, middle school, jr. high and high school because that was the natural line-up of things. Then I went to college because I knew it was expected of me.

Four years later, I'm finding myself at odds with what to do next?...

I went on a fantastical trip abroad, had an amazing carefree summer and now I work part-time from 8-1 as a receptionist/cashier at a car dealership.

How does this apply to my desired field of interior design?
Simply stated, it doesn't.

Unless you count designing the magazine placement in the waiting room.
I do that a lot.

But then again, being a working professional never was what I wanted to do. I've wanted to be a mother and homemaker for as long as I can remember. Perhaps with a small home business but at home, nonetheless. Seeking a degree and a full-time career was only something I did in order to be practical about my life and about what may or may not happen for me.

But I'm tired of being practical.
I want a break gosh dang it!

I went four-years, non-stop from eight in the morning 'til eight at night doing crap that I really didn't want to do with a smile on my face. (Well... most of the time.) And now I deserve some rest.

So I feel no shame in taking a nap.
Every day. Sometimes for three hours.


Last time I checked, it's not illegal.

Favorite reactions from certain family members, who shall (but probably shouldn't) remain nameless,  usually fall within three categories: disgust, jealousy or remand.

They're disgusted when they call at three in the afternoon and discover upon my groggy answer that I've been sleeping. They're jealous that I have enough open time to allow such leisure. Then they usually rebuke my lifestyle, commenting that I'd 'better not get used to such a schedule if I plan on having 10 children'.

Really??

I am perfectly aware that it won't go on forever.
What better reason then to savor it while it lasts?...

Because it doesn't last long. No it doesn't.
I know this because this morning I was notified that I will soon be promoted to assistant office manager. It will be a full-time position with benefits and my own desk. Hoo-sha.

And though it has absolutely nothing to do with my degree, I'm content.
I always knew that there was the possibility of working in an entirely different field.

So I'll spend my days doing what I need to do, my nights doing what I want to do and my weekends doing what I probably shouldn't do.

All the while never forgetting about my ultimate goal.
Ridiculously long naps or no.

2 comments:

Ann said...

You take three hour naps to get a break and for my break I read your hilarous blog at ten at night when all of my children are finally asleep. It works.

Corinner-Elly said...

Glad I can oblige. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...