She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Phantom Vibrations.

Have you ever heard of amputees who are able to feel their limb even after it has been removed?

ABC News discussed the matter back in 2007.

"It's like wearing a tight sock all day," they explain. "When you take it off, you still feel it there on your foot."

Interesting analogy...

Apparently having your arm chopped off feels like you're not wearing socks. Who'd've known?

Likewise, have you ever felt your cellphone buzz in your pocket only to pull it out and realize that it actually never had?..

These two problems may seem entirely different almost to the point of no comparison, right? But at the same time, phantom limbs and phantom cell phone sensations are both very real problems.


"It's an interesting technological statement about society that our machines are becoming part of us.", it states.

I, for one, freely admit I suffer from 'Phantom Cell Phone Syndrome'.
Quite frequently I feel my smartphone vibrate in my pocket when in all actuality, it isn't even in my pocket.


Spooky...

Apparently I've trained my brain to respond to external stimuli through repeated over-usage of electronics devices. They know this because rats do the same thing. (Anyone else just imagine rodents carrying around small cellphones?...)

Their solution?
Stop carrying your cell phone around in your pocket.

BRILLIANT.

Except for, now that I'm so attached to it and all, I don't know if I can.
Easier said than done, ABC News. Easier said than done.

On an semi-related topic, my cell phone sounds like a goose when it vibrates. And when I receive a call, the person on the other end can hear the final 'honk' when I pick up.

So when my mom called yesterday and all I heard was quacking on the other end, I wasn't especially amused. She was.

The point being: I don't mind living with imaginary honking.

The real question is:
Would you still love me if I had a smartphone as a hand?..

3 comments:

Falling Stars said...

Smartphone Hand Corin would be weird, but loved... But she'd have more trouble making cute aprons and stuff.

I don't feel phantom vibrations, but I hear phantom Sophia cries. I pretty much can't take a bath or wash my hands unless I can see hear, because I think she's crying the whole time. :P

Anonymous said...

Totally know how that goes. It used to happen more during high school when I would text all day, so I'd be expecting a text... Not so much anymore.
I am interested in hearing your phone quack, though.

Michelle said...

I totally get phantom vibrations!!! I hate it! Disapointing to pick up your phone and have nothing there. :S

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...