She goes around in circles 'til she's very, very dizzy.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

How to Spell 'Insanity'.

Playing Scrabble with my family is equivalent to mental suicide.
("Don't be such a drama queen!")

I am not even lying. They're all bat-crap-crazy.

No seriously.
My brain literally wants to step off a chair and hang itself.

Here's how it inevitably goes down.

Mom: "Who wants to play a game?"
Gem: "Corin will only play if we do Scrabble."
Dad: "How else will she control her unquenchable desire for complete domination?"
Mom: "Corin, do you want to play Scrabble?"

Me: "No."

Dad: "Someone take that girl's temperature!"
Gem: "Am I sleeping?" *pinch* "Ow." *pinch* "Ow!"
Mom: "Why not?"

Me: "Because I'm busy."

Mom: "Are you telling me that after I came out here specifically to enjoy you guys' company when I've been sick in bed all day and have had my meals fed to me on a tray and have watched 182 hours of Larkrise to Candleford and..." *two hours pass* "it all comes down to the fact that you don't love me, do you."

Me: -seated at table-

Mom: "How many tiles do I draw?"
Gem: "Seven."
Mom: "Six?"
Dad: "Seven."
Gem: "Pick a tile to see who goes first. Ha! I got 'A'!"
Dad: "N".
Mom: "I got an 'A' too!"
Gem: "No. You have to pick one tile first then take seven."
Mom: "Why does no one tell me the rules?"
Gem: "I go first then and get a double word score. Heh-heh."
Mom: "Wait! Why?"
Gem: "Because it's on a pink square. Pink squares give you a double word score."
Mom: "So you can spell things diagonally?!!"
Gem: "NO. Mom. Only down or from left to right."
Mom: "How many tiles do I need again?"


Me: *whimpers*

Mom: "This tile's blank."
Gem: "That means it's a wild."
Mom: "So it can be whatever I want it to be?!"
Gem: "You have to decide what it is then it stays that letter."
Dad: "But you can replace it with the actual letter if you have it."
Mom: "Okay then! I'll take it!"
Gem: "No. No. No. You have to use it during the same turn."
Mom: "What!!! Why doesn't anyone ever tell me the rules?!"


Dad: "Is this really so painful?"

Me: I'm surrounded by idiots."

Mom: "Whose turn is it?"
Gem: "Dad's."

*2 seconds pass*

Mom: "Kay, my turn right?"
Dad: "I'm still thinking."
Gem: "How do you spell 'violet'?"
Dad: "Look up 'J-E-R-O-A-M."
Gem: "G-E-R..."
Dad: "No. J-E-R-O-A-M."
Mom: "A-O-M?"
Gem: "J-E-O-R-A-M?"
Mom: "Wait. I think he said J-E-O-R-O-A-M."
Dad: "J-E-R-O-A-M!!!"
...
Gem: "Sorry. Not a word."


Mom: "Hold on. You guys are looking up random words?..."
Gem: "If it's in the Scrabble dictionary online, it counts."
Mom: "That's not fair. It shouldn't count."
Dad: "That's how we play."
Gem: "BOO-YAH. That'll be 92 points for me."
Dad: "How is that?!!"
Gem: "I used up all of my tiles. You get fifty bonus points whenever that happens."
Mom: "WHAAAAATTTT!!!!???? Why did no one tell me this!!?"

Me: "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY! ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU REALLY COULD HAVE USED ALL OF YOUR TILES IN A SINGLE TURN BY NOW?"


Mom: "I could have that first round. Probably."
...
Dad: "What do I do if I can't spell anything?"
Gem: "Swap some of your tiles from the bag."
Dad: "How many?"
Gem: "As many as you'd like."
Mom: "I think I'll do that too."
Gem: "Hold on mom. You have to put some back. You're only supposed to have seven."
Mom: "Wait, what? How do I know which ones to put back. Are you sure that's right?"

Corin: "MOM. You're supposed to have seven. ALWAYS seven. Seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, SEVEN. SEVEN.

Dad: "I think I'm gonna have to go with 'piddly'."
 Mom: "Is it my turn?"


Me: "Piddly...?"

Dad: "Look it up."
Gem: "Oh wow. Apparently it's a word."
Dad: "Do you have a problem with that?"

Me: "Only that it degrades the very name of Scrabble."

Mom: "My turn, right?"
Dad: "I'm still thinking?"
Gem: "Whose turn is it?"
Mom: "Dad's. Geez. Don't you pay attention?"

Kudos to Allie of Hyperbole and a Half for the superb graphics.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Having also spent a good portion of Christmas Day sick and holed up in my room, having my meals brought to me, watching 182 hrs of Larkrise To Candleford, I thought I'd give this post an intro, Larkrise style:

..Ours was a world of words...(image of books lying open on a bed)...and le'ers...(image of a child learning to read).. so we never would have supposed it was from the likes of these precious words...(image of Scrabble being brought out of a closet) and le'ers..(image of Scrabble tiles being placed on the holding rack things)...we were to have the greatest tragedy of all..(shot of players gathered 'round the table to play Scrabble, then fade out)
La daaaa da da daaaa la da daaaaa di la di daaaaa.....

Alese said...

hehe :D Thanks for the laugh

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...